Thursday, May 20, 2010

A beer, a blog...and some no-sugar-added chocolate peanuts =)

After a week of having a full-time sitter in the house (the MIL), it's just me and the kiddo tonight. He doesn't really like being down to just me after that much grandma time, so it's always interesting the first night. Plus, P's been home for the past three days as reinforcement as well, so now that he's back to work for the week, Z feels a little abandoned. I take the hit for that. Poor, poor me. =(

Nah, he's not too bad. It wasn't as bad as it has been before, but he is certainly at that age where he is testing and pushing buttons and trying boundaries and trying to make his own "stand" all the time. Good times. Apparently, the "terrible two's" work there way on into the three's as well. yay.

In other news, I've come to a conclusion:

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT, YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF.

I came to this realization this morning, when I made my last trip through a fast-food drive-through. Yup, I won't do it anymore. I went to McDonald's this morning on my way home and ordered a biscuit sandwich and a hashbrown. Simple enough, right? Apparently not. I opened my bag and the hashbrown was just thrown in on top, not even in it's grease-absorbing little paper sleeve. That was resting underneath it, as if they had been thrown in separately. Under that, was my sandwich. It had been laid in a half-crumpled paper wrapper, with no attempt to wrap it up in it's usual nice, neat little package. And to add insult to injury to my poor biscuit sandwich, it was spread out like a deck of cards in a card trick...fan-style. I mean, what the hell? How difficult is it? It's fast-food. I can accept that it's all prepared in the microwave anyway. Yes, I've come to terms with that, but is it too much to ask that you take the extra 20-seconds to fix it up right?

And this isn't the first time that I've come across the do-it-yourself McDonald's franchise. In high school once, I went with a friend on lunch to McDonald's and ordered a Big Mac. When I sat down with it and opened it up, I saw three pieces of bread sitting on top of two pieces of cheese sitting on top of two meat patties, with lettuce, pickles and a dollop of special sauce in a corner. In all my 17-year-old courage and attitude, I took it up to the counter and demanded a re-do, as I did not order my burger "some assembly required."

So, I am coming to the conclusion that if I want something done right, I should just do it myself. And, no, I don't mean that I'm going to go work for McDonald's. What I mean is, I should just make my own food. I am taking these incidents--along with all the other bad experiences had visiting fast-food joints and drive-throughs--as signs that I should rid myself of fast food for good. I gave it up for lent this year, and did a great job for 40 days with NO FAST FOOD. And, it has been nothing but bad experiences since I went back. I should just start making and eating my own food. It's healthier anyway. I'll just pretend that it's lent every day. My waistline and my jeans will (hopefully) thank me. =)

And, further more, they are starting to take the term "fast-food" entirely too literally. This morning, my hastily-prepared breakfast was not only missing that tender-loving-care of put-together, but it was waiting for me about three feet outside of the pick-up window. That little woman must have been standing on a milk crate to lean out the window that far. It was like a classic snatch-and-grab. I get that it's supposed to be fast, but, come ON! And that's not the first time it's happened. They do the same thing at Wendy's. If they could just throw it into my car window, I believe that they would. It's pushy and rude and I'm over it I think.

So, to make a simple statement an entirely too-lengthy ramble: I am quitting fast food.

Plain. Simple. Done.

P's going to be very disappointed. So is Z. No more "french fries and nuggets." =) Poor kiddo. I'm just ruining his life. lol

And, on an ending note, tomorrow Z and I are going to go scope out a few gyms. Giving up fast food and taking in working out seem the logical give-and-take to me, yes/no??

'Til tomorrow: peace, love and better eating!

♥ S.

1 comment:

  1. I love you :) Maybe this is one of God's little whispers in the form of the rudeness that has overrun our country...haha...it could happen! I think it's great that you're taking the plunge - it will be better for you, our little Z-man, and it sends a little message (added bonus!). Good luck with it all, let me know if you need some quick and easy and (generally) good for you recipes - I have lots of connections ;)

    ReplyDelete